Friday, November 1, 2019

Favorite 5 Friday: My favorite things about tech detoxing


I did something I planned on doing over the summer, during my summer bucket list, which should have been much sooner. I just didn't anticipate the outcome that I was expecting. Remember how I wanted to do a 24-hour tech detox? Yeah! I actually did it.

It all started as a 24-hour detox

I never would have expected my tech detox to go almost the whole month! I didn't mean to just drop off the face of the planet. I wanted to see how well I could go about having a tech detox. I went over a week with a tech detox and I actually loved it! I need to detox more often and take a break from the internet, and the people on social media more often. 

The Devil's Waltz5 Five of my favorite things about tech detoxing

1. I stopped comparing myself to others: When I was busy detoxing I didn't look to social media to see what people were doing. I couldn't compare myself to people on Instagram, because I couldn't see them. I couldn't worry about other's life because I wasn't around on Facebook. 

2. I had time to read: I had a chance to read one of my latest free book finds, The Devil's Waltz by Anne Stuart. While reading that book I fell in love with characters I thought it'd hate. You'll hear more about the book review on Sunday. But I learned that everyone has walls, it just takes time to climb over them. 

3. I got more sleep: I actually got better sleep being away from my computer and my phone. I wasn't checking the internet or finding something to watch at night to take away from my beauty rest. Getting sleep without a computer light or my phone illuminating on my nightstand was great and very rewarding.

4. I took more walks: Before it started getting cold and the weather started changing, I was able to take a walk more often. Because I didn't need to check my phone or my computer, as if I was going to miss something big, I was able to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors. I was able to enjoy nature, even if walking with a swollen thyroid was difficult. 

5. I decided to enroll in college: You heard me right. Hopefully starting January, I will be going back to college. I felt like I wasn't going anywhere in life, and what I plan on majoring in, which will remain a secret until Monday when I can explain it in more detail, but all in all I can't wait until January. 
silver iMac with keyboard and trackpad inside room
Unsplash/Carl Heyerdahl

What I've learned about my experience

The biggest lesson I learned about tech detoxing is that the internet can be quite boring. Facebook, Instagram and really any social media site, or website where you interact with others, does shape how you see the world around you. I don't think I would have noticed how often I compared myself to others until I stepped away. I wouldn't have thought about the routes I wanted to take in life if it weren't for some alone time to myself watching life roll on by.

Would I ever do it again?

Absolutely, I'm actually thinking about taking another one-week tech break around Christmas time so that I'm not bothered by people online. I know it's easy to compare myself when I see what other people are getting for their families or what other's aren't getting. I'll be able to help people around that time as well. Helping others would make me feel better than using my phone or my laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment