Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Thyroids, migraines, and the reason for me missing (again!)

It's quite ironic that the last post that I posted was about my illness was when my illnesses struck and whipped me out completely. Then followed by getting whiped out completely I get another possible illness thrown on to the table as I was trying to get my migraines all underway, hence for my long-missing for what feels like forever.

I'll explain why I was gone and what's going on in my life in case I somehow disappear again.


The Migraine Related Journey
My migraines the past month have been unbearable, as soon as one leaves I start to feel that numbness, tingling and the loss on the whole half side of my body again. The sparkly areas are almost like a common phenomenon in my life. I couldn't even imagine my life without feeling like I'm a glittery snow globe being spun around to the point I might lose my breakfast. And I have gotten to the point that the being spun around in the snow globe with my head bouncing around has made me lose my lunch, breakfast and everything else. I am so happy that the journey has a new contender and a new doctor. 
black stethoscope with brown leather case

Let's introduce the new contender!
The new doctor I'm seeing, so far has been amazing, he didn't just stop at Maxalt, which wasn't working for me at all, and actually researched to see if there were any other triptans. That would work and that my insurance would cover. That's dedication! That's why he has me started on Naratriptain, to see if it does anything to help me. In the meantime, he has referred me to a new neurologist to get an opinion on what to do, because of issues I had with my old neurologist, and to get an opinion on what to do because of the numbness when it all happens.

An old possible diagnosis comes back to light

My heart rate has always been a bit fast, and nobody seems to have an answer or even know what to do. My doctor, this amazing doctor has again been a lifesaver and kind of the reason why I fell MIA. Just recently my doctor brought up the possibility that it could be my thyroid, because their wase a strong possibility in the past that it could have been Grave's Disease and when I switched from an amazing doctor (she left the practice) to a doctor who I wasn't too happy about, they abandoned everything the old doctor had been told.

So now that the doctor has Grave's disease and my thyroid back on the radar he's looking at things in and to too long ago, I had to get my thyroid checked. I know from hospital visits in the past mine's usually hyper and I have a slight case of goiter (enlarged thyroid a lot).

When I got my test results back this week I wasn't surprised that I have hyperthyroidism. It was one of those, "I kind of figured that type of moments." I just couldn't figure out the right way to verbalize how I felt.

What I feel like with hyperthyroidism

Please note that what I'm going to write here is how I feel, and is not meant to take place of a medical diagnosis or anything of the sort.

We all know about humans and their fight or flight response. That little part of our brain telling us that we're in trouble. Just imagine that your body is stuck in fight or flight mode and can't be turned off. That's exactly how I'm feeling almost on a daily basis. I have a non-stop panic attack on top of already having anxiety a lot like being an animal in a cage, with no way to escape. These panic attacks can make someone feel a bit of rage and when I panic and feel panicky I lose my appetite and hardly eat at all causing my weight to drop drastically.

Because I'm so panicky, I can't sleep too well. I toss and turn and then eventually pass out from exhaustion and then wake up and do the same thing again. Adding that to having a migraine and chronic pain already it's like my head is spinning like a top and there's no way for it to stop. 

Last weeks ordeal

It wasn't until last weeks fun turn of events with my health when I realized it's crazy. My thyroid was and still is pretty swollen, which that too makes it really hard to eat when it feels like you're eating food through a straw. But I was the lucky winner of the cold that was going around here. Having a cold, coughing up phlegm, running a low-grade fever, and having a swollen thyroid made me feel miserable, and 5 days later (now), I'm still feeling a little run down. 
white ceramic mug on white table beside black eyeglasses

What the future holds
If this does turn out to be Grave's disease, which is an auto-immune disorder. There's going to be a whole new can of worms. I'm going to have to go an endocrinologist to talk about what options I do have. The options I do have are a bit scary to say the least. 

Option 1: A pill to try to regulate my thyroid
Option 2: Radiation
Option 3: Removal of my thyroid
Since I still have no clue what's going on I do have time to worry about what they're going to do to my thyroid or what they can do. I get my blood retested in two months to see what step my doctor wants to take. I'm trying to remain hopeful that things will eventually go the way that they're supposed to and I'll be feeling better because not knowing what's going to happen next is a bit scary.


So why exactly was I MIA?
I know I really don't need to owe it to anyone and even explain why I dropped off the face of the planet for a month, but I do want to explain. It's just how I am as a person, you know. I hate leaving things out in the open and letting people draw their own conclusions.

My reasons for being MIA have mainly been, I really haven't felt too good. Having a panic attack, and a migraine worried me a bit. I didn't even know if I could write a full sentence without forgetting what I just typed. Some days my migraine would be so bad I couldn't even read.

Right now I'm still having these problems but because I have a name and I'm able to verbalize a bit better what's going on I'm going to really attempt to give you guys more content and let you guys know how things are going and what it's like inside of my head but in case I drop off again, you all are awesome.

Be prepared for tomorrow's blog post along with my tags because you'll actually hear some real accounts of what it was like taking care of me from Dr. Freya herself. 

🌜💜I love every one of you folks that take the time to read my blog. 💜🌛

Some of my other health-related posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment