Friday, May 17, 2019

Least Favorite Friday Five: My Book Pet Peeves


Pet peeves we all have them. I have many of them, and because I did my fun little game about book adverisements earlier this week, I thought about my top 5, not so favorite pet peeves when it comes to reading a book.

Do you have any of the same pet peeves.


5. Doggy-Earring books: I get it, sometimes we’re out and about and we lose our bookmark and we’re in the mood to read. It’s rough. Even when it’s gotten rough and I was out and about, I hadn’t resorted to folding a page in the book. Once it’s folded, there’s no way to unfold it. That’s why I usually keep half a sheet of paper in my book in case I’m out and about.

4. People who put too many spoilers in reviews on Amazon or Good Reads: Normally don’t read the reviews on Good Reads or Amazon, if ever. I don’t even look at the rating. I don’t want to know the whole story, or what makes the story unreadable. I want to draw my own conclusions. Even if it is an author whose books I’ve read in the past.

3. The judgmental glances I get for reading a book in public: I rather read a paper book, than an e-book any day. I’ve sat on a bench reading a book in the lobby of Walmart waiting for my husband’s grandpa. Most of the time I’m reading a book that’s at least 50 years old, or has yet to come out and it’s an advanced readers copy. I don’t read my book in public to show off or to get judgmental glances. I’m reading the book because I want to.

2. Misplacing my book: It’s not as much of a pet peeve as much as it is something that’s happened, and I kick myself. I don’t know how many times I’ve misplaced a book, and I don’t even know how on earth I’ve done so. I’ll search high and low, and low to high. I’ll eventually find my book in the place I’ve looked over and over again.

1. Breaking the binding in: I don’t mind opening a book and allowing a book to show a little wear and tear, but I hate people who have to break the binding in. There comes a point that the pages actually fall out! It makes me sad when books come to that point. I don’t want to have to retape the pages back in, or even worse throw the book away!

20 comments:

  1. I can't believe people give you judgmental looks, that makes me sad! And I HATE broken bindings in books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel almost saddened the book I'm reading now has bad binding and it was left in the rain too long.

      Delete
  2. Yes! I can't stand when people dog ear pages. I hate when I get a library book like this. I read in public often. If I get looks, I probably won't even notice since I'm too busy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It almost makes me wish my local library actually had more than half a dozen books, I swear they have nothing! Now that they're moving, I'm hoping there'd be more to look at.

      Delete
  3. I could not agree more with not reading Goodreads reviews. I get so tired of the spoilers. I just want to know if it's worth my time or not. Not get a full detail account of everything that happened!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We share almost the same pet peeves!!! Dont dog ear my books please! ughhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh i hate when people ruin a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such an inconsiderate thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is why they made book marks. My mother always dog eared books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so with you on 1 & 5! If I don't have a bookmark, I can pretty easily find SOMETHING to be a bookmark. And the spine of the book! I sometimes cover my books like I'm in middle school to protect the cover. I like it to look almost new when I'm done with it. The one nice thing about hard cover is that the spine is flexible but I prefer paperback.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we literally share the same pet peeves. I know that glance from people that just makes you feel uncomfortable. Nevertheless, reading books has been awesome and will always be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Universal pet peeves, if I may say so. I particularly hate when people fold book pages, like just get a bookmark, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm guilty of #5, #2, and probably #4 too. However, when I see someone reading in public it's a look of envy that I give them. I want to be sitting with them reading instead of rushing around doing whatever it is I'm tasked with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely hate to fold in pages. I always have something to put in my book as a bookmark. One thing that I've started doing that's a bad habit is writing my thoughts in the margins. I started the habit in college with books I planned on keeping but now I feel like I do it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I confess I have been guilty of folding the page in, but I try now to have back ups because I end up not liking the crease the fold makes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always do doggy earing books, I always forget to get bookmark :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Doggy earring books! I never knew that's what it was called. Seriously it spoils a book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah, it really is important to take care of your books and never fold them. Glad to say that I don't have folds in my books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Doggy eating is truly the worse wey to ruin my books and I don't take it like because most of the times it fades the words in the pages been folded.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't like Amazon and good reads reviews. Not all of them are honest and we may miss out good books or read bad books.

    ReplyDelete