Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Today Jen asks the age old question, "Will it tuna?"

Freya and I had our own Good Mythical Morning challenge a few days ago. Well mainly I did, Freya sat around and helped. She is the honarary food sniffer in our household and with the job of being an honoary food smell, she had the job of smelling nothing more than gluten-free vegan tuna.

Yes. Gluten-free. Vegan Tuna. From the clearance section of our local Meijer. Exactly what I said. Gluten-free vegan tuna from the gluten-free section. I know I've warned everyone else not to go to the gluten free section if they want to save money but this blue packaged 'tuna' was on clearance!

Everyone probably know's why I allowed Freya to smell the food first? Cats love tuna! They love the smell of fish. So if this meat free substitute could tuna. Freya could tell me! It even came in one of those little packages that some of her kitty cat food comes, in you know the flavor pouches. Maybe she thought I bought her a brand new gourmet meal. There was one way to find out.

I opened the package let her smell it. She was excited about the whole lemon pepper tuna idea, until I remembered one thing. Lemon! Cats dislike citrus. As soon as she smelt the lemon, and possibly the pepper she turned her tail up and walked away.

You see this look of the Miss Freya on the bed. It's almost the exact look she gave me when I let her smell the tuna that I was going to put on my little gluten free roll. I think she thought it was a cruel trick. Just to trick her cute little tortishell self. I tried telling her it wasn't, and what I had was just human food but she didn't believe me.

Did I dare go against Freya's warnings about eating tuna that came from a plant not from a fishy? Did I go against her warning that it's made out of lemon and pepper? I never really liked tuna from the get go, maybe I was trying to be more like Rhett and Link, more than I wanted to.

"Lemon Pepper, vegan tuna. Can it tuna?"

Yes, and no! I liked the taste of the tuna, especially on a roll with vegan free tuna. I was meat free, gluten free and eating something that I may have had my very own "Jen" barf bucket on handy for. But it was fine. What wasn't fine was the texture. It's not the same textue of a fish. I know it's not exactly going to. A fish is a fish, and their meat is different than a plant that they stuck together to make a fish. But the texture wasn't as palatable as I would have wanted to.


Would I eat the lemon pepper tuna again? That thing that looks like dog food if you will in a bowl with mayo? I might! Only if only I actually found a better piece of gluten-free bread that will make or break the bank when it comes to the tuna.

Maybe next time tuna maybe next time.



ScoreTie!

Question for my gluten free or vegan readers? Have you found a better substitute for the lemon pepper tuna?

7 comments:


  1. Nothing could be better for our cat friends! Yummy for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kitties would love this! I love giving them their favorite foods!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds interesting. I've heard mixed reviews of vegan fish substitutes. I think if the taste is similar it might not be that bad, but it does seem like you would have to have good break to make up for the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gluten free vegan tuna!!! I am sold! I will definitely try it, thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know! I'm always open to new vegan products. I get that the texture is kinda weird. I've had that experience before. I can manage if it tastes good. Thanks for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a pretty good recommendation you got here. Looks like something that's worth trying. That is a cute cate you have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this product, but based on your review and the images I definitely would not try it.

    ReplyDelete