Sunday, November 4, 2018

Book Review: Sometimes I lie

If I had to sum Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney up in one word I'd call the book interesting. Not a bad interesting or a good interesting, it's just interesting. I wanted to love this book, really I did, but in the end, I'm conflicted. Very conflicted.

Sometimes I Lie, is about a girl who's a pathological liar, who's in the hospital in a paralyzed state. While she's in her paralyzed state, she's trying to piece together what happened to her and why she's in the predicament that she's in.

My Opinion

The one thing that interested me to the story was the courosity about what it might feel like to be in a paralyzed state or what it's like to be in a coma. The way you're aware of what's going on around you, but you have no way to interact or even to react to what's going on. That to me was extremely interesting.

The book it self was a bit confusing, and the character's weren't characters that I could grasp on to. As a reader, I want to grasp on to a character, I want to be able to live through the thought patterns of an author. In this case, I couldn't do it. From both the twists in the story along with weak characters. The only thing I could cling on to was the story line. But that too was a bit shaky.

My Recommendation

This book left me with one of those dizzy nauseated feelings when I read it. Not like the kind of dizzy you get the carnival when you're having fun, one of those dizzy feelings you get when you're sick with some kind of stomach bug. If you're anyway interested in the book or if your book club has this book as one of their book club books, I suggest borrowing it from a friend or picking it up at your local library.  Well, unless you're a pathological liar as well and you can understand the characters and the story line, and in that case, more power to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment