Friday, August 2, 2019

Favorite 5 Friday: My top 5 books from my Childhood


Books have been part of my life since I can remember. Ever since I could remember I’d ask my mom to read a book to me, no matter how tired she was. Most of the time she had no problem reading me a book, unless she was busy cooking, doing housework or taking care of my sister.

This week, I’m taking a little walk down memory lane thinking about my favorite books from my childhood and giving my top 5 children’s books as a child. Sometime in the next month or two, I’m going to give my top 5 children’s chapter books, just to round out my children’s book habit.

Just because I didn’t name a book on this list, doesn’t mean I didn’t love the book. I only had 5 slots to fill and 5 slots are extremely tough.

1. Katie the Kitten: I can still quote this book word for word if I was asked to quote the book. I had not one but two copies of Katie the Kitten growing up, and I still have one of the copies that I’ve passed down to my children.
Image result for Katie the Kitten
Amazon
2. The Jolly Postman or other People's Letters: If only I could get a copy of this book in new condition without anything missing from the book. The Jolly Postman was one of those iconic books that I would love to share with my own children or even children that aren’t my own. The book was so cool. The Jolly Post Man would deliver letters, birthday cards, advertisements, and stuff to our childhood nursery rhyme characters.
Related image
Amazon

3. The Very HungryCaterpillar: Eric Carle books graced my book library. I loved every a single one of his books from The Very Hungry Caterpiller to The Greedy Python to even Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear, but one of his books still stops me dead in my tracks, and if I see anything with the Hungry Caterpillar on it.

It’s not just the way Eric had the holes in the foods that the caterpillar ate, it’s not just the way the caterpillar ate and ate and ate and ate and ate, until he was a very fat and happy caterpillar that I love,d and it wasn’t just learning about nature that I loved about the book. It was the book altogether that I liked. The artwork, the story and every little thing in between are why Eric Carle’s The Very Hungry Caterpillar is in my top 5 books.

Amazon
4. On my My Way with Sesame Street Book #6 Shapes and Colors: The whole book series to the On my Way with Sesame Street was a great book series. I learned a lot from those books, enjoyed the stories, and loved playing the little puzzles and games in the book. The stories and games in this book are what I remember the most. Especially the page where they’re making you find each one of the colors and shapes in a photo from a list of colors and shapes at the bottom of the page. Almost like an Eye Spy sort of game.


Image result for On my My Way with Sesame Street Book #6 Shapes and Colors:
Discover Books
5. When I Get BiggerLittle Critter: When I got bigger, I wanted to order something from a catalog, go to the store alone, and even stay up all night. Getting older sounded like fun, and getting older wasn’t going to be so bad if I was able to cross the street on my own without any help. Here I am many years down the road and I wonder if it was my love for the book that made me excited about going to the store or if it was just a part about growing up. Either way, When I Get Bigger was a great read and I still love reading it.
Amazon 

Reader Question: Did you have a favorite book growing up? What book was it?



No comments:

Post a Comment