Friday, January 25, 2019

Friday 5: 5 Things I wished people told me about going gluten-free


Since going gluten-free, I've learned so much about gluten that I wished I knew before going gluten-free. Like the checklist of doom. But that's really how almost everything in life is, life experience teaches you a lot of things. You're always learning.

Because of my post yesterday and mentioning I love posting things that I know can help people. I thought giving 5 things I thought I knew about going gluten-free would be better than 5 of my favorite things for once. If I could have known these things before going gluten-free I would have been happy.  


1. You're the body's going to adjust as gluten leaves your body: Even if you have a problem with gluten, you can still go through withdraw symptoms. The symptoms for awhile feel worse than you did eating gluten. Some of the symptoms include, but aren't limited to headaches, dizziness, and even irritability. Sounds counter intuitive right? That's why it's best to talk with your doctor if you're having any questions or concerns about going gluten-free.

2. Shopping in the "gluten-free" section is not worth it: As exciting as it sounds to shop in the gluten-free section, the donuts, the cookies, cakes, and crackers all look so tasty. But you really don't need to be shopping in the gluten-free section to be gluten-free. Fruits, vegetables, and even meat (if you're not vegetarian) are gluten-free. If you want cakes, cookies or crackers, buy gluten free flour and make your own, it's a lot cheaper that way.

3. Cross-contamination happens: Depending on the severity of your gluten-intolerance, there's a chance of cross-contamination. An example that I hear about a lot is Pizza Hut, a lot of the time they cut their gluten-free pizza and pizza crust with the same knife they use for the regular pizza crust without washing it! Always check the allergy information on your ingredients are gluten intolerant or have celiacs.
Food allergy survival guide
4. You must have gluten in your system to be tested: If you're feeling great going gluten-free, be prepared to eat gluten again to get tested for celiacs and gluten-intolerance. The celiac.org site says to eat a slice or two of bread for 6-8 weeks before your test. 

5. Sometimes celiac disease can be silent: Not everyone who has celiacs shows outwards symptoms or even typical intestinal symptoms (constipation, bloating, or diarrhea). These people have Silent Celiacs.

No comments:

Post a Comment