Sunday, March 10, 2019

My Top 21 writing sites for every day writing

Writer's block, it's my own worst enemy and lately, it's rearing it's nasty head and is really quite frankly, getting me quite angry. My thoughts are not flowing and when they attempt to flow they get stuck in the middle of the pipe. I wonder if some of the best writers out there have the same problem.

But because I'm determined to get rid of this writer's block, I decided to help other writers who are having ideas about what to come up and how to fix their writer's block. Why is it that other's issues are easier to fix than your own? Is it Murphy's Law? Whatever, to other writers here, is some help!

4 First Line Prompts and Writing Prompt Sites:


  • Writing Exercises: This site has first line generators, prompts, a character generator, and even an outline to help you create your character. If you're stuck this is the first place to go to. I really love the photo generator. It's the first time I saw a site try to spawn your creativity by providing a photo to help someone become creative. 
  • Writers Den Writers Den is another place that has first line generators and even exercises for writing. But what makes this writing prompt and first line generator page stand out amongst a lot of the other sites is the blank page eliminator and 10 tips for writers, both are great for seasoned writers, and beginners.
  • Seventh Sanctum: Seventh Sanctum does have many different generators and not all of the generators are writing related but they do have a special area just for writers. The area has writing prompts, poetry generators, and song generators! I used to try to combine all of the generators together to write a whole new story. I haven't done it for a while but might attempt it soon and you all how I did it!
  • Authority 252 Writing Prompts: Do you still need writing prompt because none of the other prompt or first line generators aren't generating anything that you'd actually write about. Authority has you covered. They have 252 prompts! Surely you'll find something to write about!
5 Character Creators and Generators
If you're a writer and either you have a character for a story you already have or you want to start thinking of characters. There are tons of places online that can help you! Writers Den (see the link above), has some help with characters, but if you're looking for more help, here are some places to help you create that perfect character.

  • Starman Series: This site has both a name bank and a place for a mini-biography if you're looking of a good push in the right direction and you really can't think of any characters at all.  I did a random name and bio and came up with some pretty interesting people! 
  • Ran Gen: RanGen has a list of generators for characters, and it even has more writing generators if you want to look at those as well. I never really used RanGen's writing generators in the past so I can't give any detail about how good they work as writing generators are concerned. 
  • Character Generator: Character Generator is one of my favorite character generator sites. It can help you with almost every aspect of your character from the huge details, to the minor ones that you may have not thought of. 
  • Fake Name Generator: I used to come here for my Sims names when they had the Sims family generator, but they also have stuff like names, addresses, employers, jobs and even the cars that the person drives. There are so many details that you may need for your character that can come in handy! Where else would you actually find a made-up credit card number?
3 Character Charts
Not sure what information you'll need for your character, but have one in mind? I really love character charts! I used to have a binder when I was younger with character charts and characters just in case I wanted to write something new and couldn't think of anything. Mine were never as elaborate as the ones below, but now that I was reminded of these character charts, it may be exactly what I need to fix my problems in my stories!
5 Poetry Resources
Some are just like a Mad Libs type of thing, but they're a great starting point for your poetry and a way to get your ideas out first! Other resources explain poetry types, then there's some that explain how to write your own poetry. They're all very helpful if you're stuck writing poems and want to learn. 

  • Poem Generator: If the site looks a little familiar, that's because it is. Poem generator is the sister site to the character generator. If you don't need the poetry or character generator they also have a song lyric generator as well! They have tons of generators.
  • Think Zone pOems Gen: You can either put your own words into the word banks, or you can use some that the generator has given you, no matter what the case, you're able to write a poem
  • Writing isn't a virus: Writing isn't a Virus has many poem generators. I won't post every generator the site has to offer, but take it from me, there are many poem generators on this site.
  • Book Riot Poetry Types: If you actually want to give your poem structure, Book Riot has a list of poetry types to help you get started.
  • How to write a poem: What if you don't know how to write a poem? This is a little tutorial about how to write poetry. 
4 Writers Worksheets
If you're looking for more fiction writing or novel writing worksheets the internet is full of those as well. Google has many writing worksheets, but if you want some of my favorite writing worksheets to keep on your computer here's a list of some of my favorite places. All of which are free. I don't think it's too nice to profit off of helping others with their creativity.
  • Eadeverell: From write-alongs to worksheets, poetry help, and printables it's all here! A treasure trove of ideas.
  • Eccentric Character Generator from Writers Writes: This character generator is both a worksheet  (well kind of like a worksheet) and a character generator. With this site and graphic, you're blindly choosing a character trait for someone. When I tried it, I ended up choosing a talented dog as a character!
  • Character Traits from Workshop Class Room: I know that this worksheet is meant for children, but it can actually work great to help with character traits
  • Jami Gold: On Jamie Gold's site you can find beat sheets and story structure sheets. The story structure sheets help outline the story. They look so confusing, but if you can actually use the sheets, more power to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment