Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Book Review: Other Bodies by Joel Ohman,

Image result for Other Bodies by Joel Ohman,
I didn't expect to write about another book already. I finished Other Bodies by Joel Ohman, even faster than I did with The Girl He Used to Know. I had nothing to do with the fact that the book was shorter, or more exciting than the other book, okay, I really don't know why I finished sooner, it wasn't one of the two reasons that I've listed, I just finished the book quickly.

Information about the book:

In a world where immersive VR suits distort what is real from what is not, and the AI Personhood Act blurs the lines between body and bot, the choices sixteen-year-old Hattie Martins faces are very personal.
Welcome to Hattie Martins' dystopian Philadelphia, where everything is not as it seems...
Just as her life is looking up--a new job, new friends, a new date--Hattie discovers not all progress in her beloved, futuristic Philadelphia is for the best. Societal regrets can become personal regrets in an instant. Choices don't always come with second chances, and when they do the cost can be unimaginable. How far will she go to undo her greatest regret? And worse yet, what will she become if it's too late?
(Taken from the back of the book, the same information on Amazon)

My opinions about the Book

This book started slow, and that scared me a lot. I was really hoping that the book wasn't going to start slowly and stay slow. It was one of those moments where I cringed and was tempted to read the last few pages and call the book boring in a book review. Instead, I told myself, "Jen, you know that won't be fair to Joel or anyone else who wants to read the book. Don't throw in the towel yet." I was going to stick it out as I do a lot of other books that started slowly. 

I think one reason why I was a bit unsure to read the book was already the fact that I knew it was a dystopian society and talked about stuff that's happening in our lives right now. I didn't want to something to make up my mind for me or thrust me into the world. That was what scared me a little bit. 

The book ended a bit abruptly and I hoped that ti didn't end the way that it did. It had me hoping there was more to the book. I know a lot of books are like that I felt this book ended quickly. But that's fine, I can find myself another book to fill its spot. 

I couldn't get in her shoes

When I was introduced to Hattie's life, I tried to put myself in her shoes. Why do I think that I need to put myself into someone's shoes every time I read a book? In my case, I wasn't a 16-year girl, with the weight on my shoulder. I never had to make choices she's made or came to the same realizations that she came to realize.  

Just because I couldn't get into her shoes doesn't mean that I hated the book. I actually didn't mind the book at all. Hattie was an interesting character to say the least. She was the kind of character that you couldn't help but like. I think when it came down to it, I felt more like I wanted to be her 'mother' more than standing in her shoes. 

The book can be confusing *a little bit of a spoiler.*

It's obvious a few chapters in that the book flips from Hattie to another character. That was probably the most confusing part of the book. I didn't understand that the book flipped from Hattie to someone else. I couldn't figure out why they didn't connect together, until the end. I won't talk about why I just want to give everyone a heads up about that something like that will happen.


Does it actually make people question everything? 

If I was asked if the book made me question everything I knew about life?  Or let alone everything I believed? Not exactly, I knew what I believed, and this book just solidified how I felt. I know that might not make any sense. But, because book aligned with my beliefs, after reading the same things I believed, I knew it was exactly what I believed, and almost gave me the pat on my back as I read the book.

But if I had the exact opposite beliefs, I may have thought differently about life. It would probably make me think differently. I won 't get into what I mean by that, and I won't spoil the whole premise of the book. I'm not like that. 

Last but not least so...do I recommend the book? 

I do recommend the book. I do warn anyone who wants to read the book, it may make them teary eyed. I may make them angry but at the same time. I hope it would give them an idea about why life is the way that it is. The book is a pretty quick read if you don't want to spend a long time reading the book. 



No comments:

Post a Comment