Monday, February 4, 2019

Krabbe Disease: Emmett's Mission & Message




If you’re not reading this post with a box of tissues in your hands, I suggest it. It’s heartbreaking and hits right to the core. It’s a video that I had to post, I it taught me so much, and answered so many questions.

Dr. Paul Thomas is a family medicine doctor out of Oregan state, Emmett is one of his patients. Emmett has Krabbe’s disease. What Emmett has is rare, inherited and fatal. Our nerves have a covering called myelin But with infants with Krabbe, the infant lacks an enzyme called Galactosylceramidase. When the body lacks the Galactosylceramidase it causes demyelinating which damage to the myelin, within slows the nerves or even stop the nerves impulses. There’s no cure for Krabbe, but it’s treatable if caught early, like during an optional newborn newborn screening.

As Dr. Paul says in the video we have a mission here in life, no matter how brief our life must be. Emmett and other Dr. Paul opened my eyes.

Emmett’s mission helped me heal myself and some sadness I had wh Knowing people have a mission and helping them with their mission when they’re no longer around is crucial. It wasn’t my mission to shine light on the Krabbe’s, that’s Emmett’s job to do that. But I’m sure going to be on the sidelines, helping get the message out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment