Friday, December 21, 2018

Favorite 5 Friday: My Top 5 Favorite Hanukkah Books For Kids


Instead of naming five random things that I've loved during the week, I've decided to change up my Favorite 5 Friday lists up a bit. I want to name my top 5 favorite thing's for a certain topic or my top 5 favorite items.



This weeks list is going to be about Hannukah. I am not Jewish, but I do believe in teaching children about different religions, and holidays of the world when they're young, even if it's not what you believe. I've been getting books from PJ Libary and PJ Our Way for a little over a year and now, both my kids and I love the books. They're always so much fun to read and are really exciting.

It was hard picking only 5 books that were my favorite books about Hannukah, they were all so cute, but because I had to pick my top five books, these ended up being my favorites:
Image result for Hoppy Hanukah by Linda Glasser
1. Hoppy Hanukkah by Linda Glasser
Is every bunny ready to learn about Hanukah? I know I am, and it's not just because I think bunnies are oh so cute, but because this book is so well written. In this book, your kids will learn when it's the right time to light the menorah, why the menorah lit at night and what the menorahs are for. The book makes anyone who knows little about Hanukah or someone who knows's a lot, start hopping with joy!
Simon and the Bear: A Hanukkah Tale by [Kimmel, Eric A.]
2. Simon and The Bear by Eric A. Kimmel
Simon set out for America, just to have the ship he was on get wrecked. Simon was sure he was going to die. But he didn't die, he was saved by a bear on Hanukkah nonetheless. This is the story about Simon being saved by a big and not so mean or scary polar bear. While this book may not be historical or at all true to life, your kids will learn to share, and learn to have compassion, not just around holiday time, but all the time.
Queen of the Hanukkah Dosas by [Ehrenberg, Pamela]
3. Queen of the Hanukkah Dosas by Pamela Ehrenberg
I used to, and still love books that have a story and a recipe (or song) included with the book. It makes the stories feel more realistic to me. Queen of the Hannukah Dosas has recipes for dosas and Sambar in it. Sambar and Dosas are popular in India, which may not be known for Jewish culture, but that's why I like the book. The mom's Indian and the dad's Jewish, it shows kids how to incorporate both together, and that not everyone everywhere eats the same thing for the holiday.


Latke, the Lucky Dog (Hanukkah) by [Fischer, Ellen]
4. Latke, the Lucky Dog by Ellen Fischer 
Latke the Lucky Dog, is a book about a dog who's the color of latkes and is adopted from the shelter at Hannukah time. Latke gets to learn all about Hannukah time, by chewing up things he shouldn't be and eating latkes that he really shouldn't be eating. This dog shows the benefit of adopting a shelter dog while showing kids that even if something happens, there are always ways to fix things. 

5. Chanukah Lights Everywhere by Michael J. Rosen
It's not just the lights on the manorah that are special it's lights everywhere, just like the title imply's! The little boy in Chanukah Lights Everywhere learns exactly that. The importance of menorah lights, and the importance of lights in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment