Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Time to go to the Kingdom of Reading; Reading Kingdom Review









Let's spill the tea bit about reading. Better yet let's spill the tea about reading and making sure your child retains what they've learned over the summer. Both as a parent and a former student (yes I once got my education to believe it or not).

We all know how much I love educational games and apps. So I'm going to talk a bit about the Reading Kingdom, a website to help your kids learn to read.
I've been playing along as Freya. Freya can't read nor will she ever read. She's a cat, but I wanted to get a feel of the site before handing it off to my stepdaughter or my youngest son. It's the kind of parent I am. Not because I think games are dangerous, but because I, want to feel that if a site or app holds my attention, and I have a really short attention span that the game/app is worth it to share with my children and it should be able to hold their attention for at least a little while.

It's better than YouTube right?

So here's the site...
You have two options when starting the game on the website take the placement test or start at level one. In my case, I chose, to take the placement test.  During the placement test you're going to have both a reading test to do and a typing test. Both are great for young minds when they're using a computer.

Freya didn't fair too well during her placement test, so she'll be starting on level 1. That's great! I can show you exactly what goes on during this game, and I can then tell you what I think of the game pretty cool right?
When you're taking these tests and learning along you're learn a new word. One of the first level words is the word kid. K-I-D. Your kid is going to learn how to build the word, and what letter belongs where.

This one of the advanced parts of the first level. Do you know what two letters will spell the word kid? I'm not telling. 😆

Every day your kid has a new session to complete. It's not going to be same old questions that were asked the day before! You're kids going to grow and hopefully learn after they're done with the session.

The Important Questions you may be asking


If I was a child this is what I would have thought of the game

Of course, taking off my adult hat and pretending to be a 7-year-old girl wasn't an easy task while I was playing this game. But I stepped back and imagined being a child, and when I imagined being a child the game made more sense and if you gave my 7-year-old self this game as a child, I may have enjoyed it.

It reminds me a lot of Reader Rabbit, a game I played when I was a kid, both my grandma had the game on her computer and so did my teacher! I would sit and play Reader Rabbit every chance I got and it didn't grow with me, so I gave up after learning to spell words. The Reading Kingdom actually grew with me! I would have been really happy if someone bought the game for me.

How much is the game and was it worth the price?

The price for the game is $19.99 a month or $200 a year, but you get the first month free. In my opinion as a parent and as someone who believes reading is fundamental, I actually loved this game. It's worth the $19.99 a month, to get your child the leg up that they need for either homeschooling or for summer reading.
A bit about the customization

The game even customizes itself to help your child. All children learn at a different page Reading Kingdom knows that. Reading Kingdom gets me as a parent and as someone who enjoys educational games.

Oh did I mention that we also have some bonus games as well, they have a memory game, a typing game, and a game called Word Fish, where you're swimming around looking for the letters? I myself loved the memory game the most. It wasn't just words there were symbols that I had to remember and remembering symbols isn't as easy as I thought it would be.

My final thoughts

Before I go, I need to say, that this game may not be the right fit for every family. But I enjoyed it and I'm sure there are some kids that would really enjoy the game. Like I said earlier there's a 30-day trial, if you and your kid don't like it, you can move on to something else.



No comments:

Post a Comment