Thursday, April 4, 2019

Lessons only my father could have taught me


 One of my Mama Kat's prompts put my thinking ears on and because I'm letting creativity flow lately, it hit that place in my mind that I really just had to post a prompt that hit at home at least a little bit.
“I wanted Mr. Rogers be my dad so I could live in his neighborhood and he could love me just the way I am.” (inspired by Cottage by the Sea). What celebrity Dad would you have picked for yourself as a child?
-Prompt Suggestion by Mama Kat-

This was my dad. He was your average everyday dad. As average as a girl would get. I'd see him every other weekend until I got older. When I got older he had the internet. The place where I could talk to people and escape the world around me. My world even with my dad in it wasn't how I wanted my world to be. Being autistic, and having problems in my life that I never really understood. But my dad was there for me. 
Image may contain: 1 person
My dad allowed me to have the freedom that I wished a lot of kids had. We didn't have all this money, in fact, we had hardly any money all growing up. The things we did for fun when I wasn't using the internet was going to swap meets, going to the library, and going to the beach.

If it wasn't for my dad I probably wouldn't have done half the things I'm doing now. Writing, blogging and being an animal lover. He was able to push me, drive me and didn't give up on. me. 

The one thing he did for me which wasn't his fault gave me his health issues. He had lupus, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, Chrons, and what I think may actually have been a gluten issue. He was given so many diagnoses that my mom said I don't even think my dad really know what he had. But for him to live as long as he did. That to me was amazing.

I'm not happy that my dad died in the bathroom, and that nobody found him until a fwe days later. But what I am happy is that he's not suffering anymore. If I have a little bit of what my dad felt on a daily basis the suffering sounds horrendous. I don't want to die, but to go quickly rather than ensure more problems was the best for him. 

But what if could have a celebrity dad

Dear dad, this has nothing against you. You've taught me the world you've told me some great lessons, and now you opened my mind to illnesses that I never would have understood. Thank you. Here I am thinking about celebrities that I would have loved to have been my father, while it's not easy because I never thought about having my dad as a celebrity. 

 Even if my brother, sister and I compared him jokingly to a turtle or a Bigfoot. I'm not going to choose Harry from Hary and the Hendersons as my father. The father I want would be one that still taught me things and helped me grow into the woman I am today.

The father I would have loved to have been my dad would have been Tim Taylor from Home Improvement. I love the show from when I was younger, for you know the typical reasons why a young girl would love watching home improvement. Johnathan Taylor Thomas was "mine" that's all that I could understand.

Now that I'm adult and stepped away from the Randy, Mark, and Brad and I look toward Tim and the way that he raised his sons. I see a lot of things that I would have learned from him. Building things, how to get along with my siblings and finding new ways to have fun. Ways that weren't the same as my own dad. Even after the changes with the boys, I would have been allowed to change so well. That was a pretty cool thing to happen. 


Long Story Short
Thank you, dad, for being the most amazing dad that I could have ever imagined. You made me the woman that I am today. Just because I'm not in the best health all the time that doesn't mean that I couldn't still have the drive and the know-how about how to get things done. 

Tim was great, and Tim wasn't my dad. I just watched him while watching TV with my dad. May, just maybe my own dad learned things from Tim the Tool man Taylor that rubbed off on to show him how to be a father. If not, I took a little bit from both of these men and I thank them so much. Thank you, dad, 

No comments:

Post a Comment