Tuesday, October 23, 2018

A book that might suck you in: "My Russian Grandmother and Her American Vacuum Cleaner"


I finally had a chance to read My Russian Grandmother and her American Vacuum Cleaner by Meir Shalev. I was so excited to pick up the book because I had never really read a memoir before. The title seemed so interesting and I really wanted to know what made this guy's grandma and her vacuum so amazing that it needed to be written about. There were so many positive reviews about the book that I was excited when I picked up my copy of the book.

My Russian Grandmother and her American Vacuum Cleaner is about exactly what the title says it is. Meir's grandmother and her vacuum. The book also talks about how his grandmother treasured the vacuum cleaner. 

I feel almost everyone has a family member who's like Grandma Tonia, who cleans all the time and isn't very friendly. But relating to Meir wasn't enough to keep my attention.  While yes it was about grandma and her vacuum, but it also jumped around a bit. It felt like every other chapter repeated itself. I'm not sure if that's how most memoirs are, but this isn't a book that I enjoyed.

This book wasn't very entertaining or interesting to say the least. It was hard to finish and couldn't keep my attention long enough. If you like memoirs and want to take a chance by reading this book, just heed my warning a little bit. This book will not suck you into it

No comments:

Post a Comment