Friday, August 2, 2019

Let's get a job at Reader Rabbit's Word Factory!

This game was copywritten 30 years ago! Can you even believe it 30 years ago! That's not even humanly possible, is it? After playing the Reading Kingdom, and getting the taste of other children's games, I figured I'd go on to the DOS archive and play the game that started it all. I'm talking about The Learning Company's Reader Rabbit.

The Mini Games

Reader Rabbit consisted of 9 mini-games Sorter, Labeler, WOrd Train and 6 Matchup Games. When I was younger, 9 games were a lot to chose from considering there was so much that a young child good do to learn how to read and learn their phonics better.  Each game made me feel so much of a sense of achievement and excitement when I knew I got a word right. 

The Sorter

Here at the word factory, all work and no play makes Reader Rabbit a dull boy. Can you help reader rabbit find the word that contains the letter that's written on the sorter machine? Every time you get a question right Mr Rabbit is given a carrot, and once Mr. Rabbit gets 5 carrots, he gets to do his happy dance and eat the carrots he was paid for a yummy  rabbit-like lunch. 

The Labeler 

Here at Reader Rabbit's letter factory, it's more than just sorting your letters, you also need to label them. The items Mr. Rabbit has on sale, need to have the right label. It's your job to pick the letters in your letterboxes so that all the items have the right label. Nobody wants to be sent an item listed for sale as a "pad" but is actually a mat.

Word Train

What happens after we sort and label our items? We have to ship them off. The easiest way to get us mops, pads, mugs and all of the stuff we made out is to put them on the train. The train conductor's rule state to put an item on the train the there can only be one letter different from the previous car. Like if you started with a rag train, you need to have a car for tags, hags, and ham. Don't get me started on why we have a hag train. It's just the rules  at Reader Rabbit's Word Factory.

Matching

There's only one job we have yet to talk about it's matching up the tags for the stores. Some stores like the tags to be all letters, some want just pictures, and even some want words and pictures. Each job in the matching department depends on what job you or your child wants. I was told to do the word and photo matching for stuffed animals. The animals need their tags matched.  The rat needs it's tagged, the pig needs his tag and so does the bug.
The tags are so messed up, it's your (or my job) to find both the name of the animal and the animal in question. Finding two names don't match, neither do two pictures with the same animal on it. They say it's because the customers need a name to go with the little photo on the tag.

Why I liked working at the factory

I loved working with Mr. Rabbit at Reader Rabbit's Word Factory for many of my childhood years. I tried each job and became well versed in all of the jobs that now that I'm an adult and I have seniority over the younger new Reader Rabbit employees I get to explain each of the jobs that we have to offer. There's no other factory where I've been able to sort products, label them, put a tag on them and send them on their way to a family and other word lovers everywhere.

What if the factory got upgraded?

If the factory had an upgrade but kept its same jobs, I would actually embrace it. It would make the new employees more interested in staying around. Even if they never got an upgrade, I still love the Word Factory more then I love any other job. 

What I have to say to anyone interested in working for Mr. Rabbit

This isn't one of those times that I'm trying to recruit people to the Word Factory because I hate my job, and I am for sure not one of their promoters. I really do enjoy working at the factory and I know a lot of younger employees would like it and maybe even some older employees would enjoy the job at the factory. 

Last but not least, if you are still an employee or love Reader Rabbit's Word Factory, give us a shout out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment