Sunday, February 24, 2019

6 Things I didn't expect to learn from reading children's books

People would think just because I'm an adult and I love writing, that I would still love to read and buy children's books for myself. I have always enjoyed books for kids, even when  I was growing up and transitioning into bigger books, but right now I'm reading Mort Ziff is not Dead, and I love reading books meant for children a lot.

I think the love for children's books comes from the simplicity of the books sometimes. You can read 10 books in 30 minutes and have 10 different stories in your head, while if I pick up a book, like the other book I'm reading "Other Bodies by Joel Ohman" while yes, apparently "Other Bodies," is a young adults books. They're not the same as children books.

So yes, call me a child if you want, but I really enjoy children's books. They've taught me so many things that I don't think an adult book would have taught me.

1. They've taught me about holidays and customs: When I don't understand a holiday, religion or a custom I try to find a children's book about the holiday. For instance, the Hanukkah books I've read were simple, they explained what Hanukkah was, what people ate for Hannukah, and why the menorah was lit.

2. Mother nature is beautiful: I actually learned about nature being beautiful when I was younger and first read The Bernstein Bears Nature Guide. After reading the book, I wanted to go out into the world and discover nature for myself. I don't think I'd love nature as much as I do, if I didn't read the book.
Image result for The Berenstain Bears Nature Guide.
Amazon
3. Emotions are normal: In adult life, we start telling ourselves emotions aren't normal and we shouldn't be angry. But when I realize emotions are normal, especially when reading children's books. I don't feel like hiding my emotions as much, and they don't come out as toxic as they would if I did hold them in. Like the Grouchy Lady Bug, she was grouchy way too grouchy, so while it's not normal to be overly angry we do need to deal with our emotions.

4. We should be helping people more: I read the book I Can Help by David Hyde, and believe it or not. I took more from the book that I should have. It doesn't take much to help someone. It really doesn't take too much time out of someone's day to do little things to help other people.

5. How to cook new recipes: Children's books that have recipes in the back are so helpful, especially now that I'm gluten-free, the recipes can sometimes be revamped and I can enjoy a new snack, or a new meal. This also goes right back to what I learned in #!1 about customs.

6. I've learned to draw from children's books: There have been a few books that I've read in the past that taught me how to draw a little bit better. One of my favorite books from my Childhood was The Black Cat by Carl Withers' and Alan Cober. In the book it talks about a house, and a cellar and so many other things, but in the end, the drawing is the picture of a cat. It's the way that I learned how to draw a cat!

No comments:

Post a Comment